Bendigo Harness Racing celebrated 60th Anniversary of Lord's Raceway - 15 November 2014
Dosser donation to BHRC Library
24 July 2014 - Harness Racing enthusiast David Dosser recently made a donation of a collection of photos books and magazines to the BHRC's library and memorabilia room at Lord's Raceway.
Ken Wills memorabilia goes on display at Lord's Raceway
3 July 2014 - Bendigo Harness Racing Club has a new addition to the Club's Library and Memorabilia collection. Former top trainer/driver Ken Wills, now 84, has donated a collection of photos and items including race photos of top standardbreds Star Hill, Lynmont, Last Scott and Bret Armagh. The Ken Wills green and white racing silks are also proudly displayed. Noel Ridge is putting together the display at the track which will be open for public viewing from 18 July.
Gosh he was good!
Henry McDermott's local star in the mid to late 1980's was Gosh. He was by Meadow Hanover (Meadow Skipper), an unraced half brother to Kentucky. Gosh won 14 of his first 17 starts and went on to bankroll $322,000 from 36 race victories. In all he had 108 starts and was only out of the prize money on 8 occasions. His best wins were the 1986 SA Pacers Cup beating Bag Limit and Vanderport, a heat of the 1985 Inter Dominion Pacing Championships at Moonee Valley beating Thor Lobell and the 1984 4yo Pacing Championship Final at Moonee Valley. He was retired shortly after finishing 3rd to Karalta Gift at Moonee Valley on 6 June 1987. Another of Henry McDermott's other stars of the 1980's was the Paleface Adios look-alike Quamby's Pride (Deep Adios - Lady Bangaroo) which won the 1980 Queensland Derby. (David Aldred)
Bendigold, Bendigo's 1st hero
BENDIGOLD was the local 'champion' at Bendigo in the mid 1950's. He was almost a 'good thing' every time he raced at Lord's Raceway, winning 10 of his 14 race starts here. READ THE BENDIGOLD STORY
VIEW THE BENDIGO HARNESS RACING CLUB LOCAL HISTORY
BHRC'S historical collection growing
BHRC's Noel Ridge unloads donated additions to the library
Bendigo's Harness Racing Library and Memorabilia Room is growing every week. The BHRC has recently received additions to the library from Mary Sweeney and Barb and Bob Lomas. Mary Sweeney has donated a trophy cabinet full of local hero Mother Courage's cups and trophies together with a pictorial history of some of Mother Courage's great wins. The Lomas' contribution includes a Trotting Stud Book Collection, Harness Racing hard cover books and magazines and rare collection of harness race videos. For contributions to the library contact BHRC historian, Noel Ridge on 0400 923956 or the BHRC office on (03) 5449 3205
Gentleman John’s 58 year-old sulky is now part of the BHRC Library & Memorabilia Collection
In 1956, Bridgewater owned pacer, Gentleman John, carved his name on the Inter-Dominion roll by winning Sydney's second championship series. Driven by his trainer, Eric Rothacker, who at 26 was at that time the youngest reinsman to win the race, Gentleman John came off 12 yards and got up in the last stride to score by a head, rating 2:08.8 for 13 1/2 furlongs.
The 1956 carnival was marred by atrocious weather conditions which caused four postponements. As a result, the series ran nine days longer than the fortnight originally scheduled. The final, run on a Monday night because of
the postponements, drew 34,020 spectators, who cheered the house down as
Gentleman John and Mineral Spring fought out a nail-biting finish.
Unique books added to Bendigo's harness racing library at Lord's Raceway
A heartfelt thank-you to Lesley Gillies for her donations of a large number of unique books from the late Alan Gillies personal collection to the Bendigo Harness Racing Club History and Memorabilia Library at Lord's Raceway.
The Bendigo Harness Racing Club's Library and Memorabilia Room is now open most race days at Lord's Raceway - Committeeman Noel Ridge is our Club's local historian and the club is building quite a collection of interesting books, photos, magazines, records and racing silks. Donations to the library and memorabilia are welcome.
Adelaide Direct Bendigo’s Star of the early 20th Century
Adelaide Direct wins the 1917 NZ Cup
The very best that trotting can offer. That’s how the New Zealand Trotting Cup, run annually in November at Addington, Christchurch, is regarded.
Pacing stars that have won the race include the world’s first pacing millionaire Cardigan Bay, the immortal Johnny Globe and his son Lordship and three time winner Indianapolis. Since the race commenced in 1904 very few Australian pacers have won New Zealand’s most prestigious race. Only one horse managed this between the first in 1904 and Steel Jaw’s victory in 1983. Bendigo district mare, Adelaide Direct, was the first, in 1917. Adelaide Direct, foaled in 1906 was a product of Adelaide Hill Stud at Huntly’s imported stallion Directway, and an Honest Harry mare. The unnamed mare bred at Elmore was owned by Parker’s Plains (Baringhup near Maldon) Stan Lewis. Lewis leased her first to James Kennedy. She was then trained by Frank Ridley at Fitzroy, winning at country meetings as well as at Richmond, the main Melbourne track before being returned to Lewis. A leading New Zealand trainer Manny Edwards, at the time training in Australia leased the mare in 1914, and took her to New Zealand, where she raced for three seasons before winning the 1917 New Zealand Cup.
History for Adelaide Direct (1906)
Year List or Race Name Where Time/$/Group
1913-14 Vic Richmond Flying (Jun) Richmond Melb 1
1913- 14 Vic Richmond Handicap (May) Richmond Melb 1
1914 NZ Premier Handicap Alex. Park NZ 1
1914-15 NSW Australian TC Hcp (Oct) Victoria Park NSW 1
1916 NZ Ranfurly Handicap Alex. Park NZ 1
1917 NZ Cup Addington NZ 1
A trotting first for Bendigo
The First Official Australian Trotting Mile Record set at Bendigo
The first official Australian trotting mile record was achieved at Epsom on 17-09-1858
Trotting Match.—A match came off yesterday afternoon on the Race Course at Epsom, by Mr.Rankin's horse Spider.
The match was made in order to test the speed of the horse, who accomplished the first mile in four minutes, and the second in three minutes and twenty-four seconds—a speed which has not ever been equalled on Bendigo. The horse was ridden by Mr. Kettle, the rider of Rambler.
From John Peck - Editor, Harness Racing International Magazine, April 2013
Bendigo's blast from the past
Bendigo the resting place of our greatest trotter Maoris Idol
Maoris Idol rests at Bendigo (read the story - click the photo)
Maoris Idol arguably Australia's greatest trotter, was laid to rest at the Bendigo Harness Racing Club 23 October 2006. The winner of 40 races from 46 starts, Maoris Idol died of old age l at Bill and Margaret Hanson's Homevale Stud at Fern Hill, where the 34-year-old stallion had spent the past 16 years. The Bendigo Harness Racing Club has a memorial by the track entry for the champion and honour his memory every January with the running of the Group 2 Maori Mile at Lord's Raceway. WATCH THE VIDEO
Bendigo's full of Harness Racing History
An old barn at at Huntly
Huntly, just north of Bendigo, was once home to some of the best harness racing horses in Australia.
From two stud farms within a half mile of each other came horses that were the stars of trotting and pacing in the early 20th Century.
Gentleman John was a 50's champion
In 1956, locally-owned pacer, Gentleman John, carved his name on the Inter-Dominion roll by winning Sydney's second championship series.
Driven by his trainer, Eric Rothacker, who at 26 was at that time the youngest reinsman to win the race, Gentleman John came off 12 yards and got up in the last stride to score by a head, rating 2:08.8 for 13 1/2 furlongs.
The 1956 carnival was marred by atrocious weather conditions which caused four postponements. As a result, the series ran nine days longer than the fortnight originally scheduled. The final, run on a Monday night because of the postponements, drew 34,020 spectators, who cheered the house down as Gentleman John and Mineral Spring fought out a nailbiting finish. LISTEN TO KEN HOWARDS GREAT CALL OF THE RACE
Bendigo's trotting history dates back to 1840
Horses travelled by train to race in Bendigo
The First Meeting of the Sandhurst Trotting Club
January 24, 1883
Trotting matches between horses were held in the Colony of Victoria as early as the 1840s. Records show trotting matches (usually 2 horses competing against time, over quite long distances) for purses in country areas of Portland, McIvor (Heathcote), Barwon and Maryborough.
Trotting matches were held at Sandhurst (Bendigo) in 1858 shortly after the rush to the new goldfields. Newspapers of the time record that pairs of horses raced from Kangaroo Flat to the Black Swan Hotel (still in place on the corner of Pall Mall and Mundy Streets Bendigo, Pall Mall to Inglewood and other venues.
However, the meeting on the Epsom Trotting Track where the inaugural race meeting of the Sandhurst Trotting Club was held on January 24, 1883, was the first on a purpose build track - an Australasian first.
The mile trotting track was prepared inside the steeplechase track on the Epsom Racecourse, by Mr W.J.Starr who had recently arrived from America. The track consisted of 2 quarter mile ovals at each end, a quarter mile front straight and a quarter mile back stretch. The track was prepared using two specially made implements: a “leveller” and a “Yankee Harrow” each drawn by two draught horses. Trees along the back had to be dug out to enable the track surface to be made. The track was settled by “a shower of rain”.
Newspapers reported that about 2000 people attended on a rather warm day.
The attendance was lower than expected, although a special train to the Ascot railway siding brought spectators, bookmakers and horses from Melbourne.
The appearance of such horses as: Von Moltke Jnr (Imp USA), Contractor (Imp USA), Brown Hawk and Captain Dearborn attracted spectators to the course.
The major event for these horses to do the mile in 2:40 to 2:46 did not take place as the connections could not agree whether the horses should be ridden or pull a “carriage”. Instead, they each put on exhibitions of trotting.
The winner of the 3:00 minute class was Dick, (by Young Australian) in a time of 2:49.
The second heat went to Dick in 2:44. He was sold after this race for £ 250.
The Walter Scott stakes for mares was won by Dinah. The prize, was a service to the stallion Walter Scott at Sandhurst for the season. If the race was won in less than 3:10, the service was for up to 6 mares, if slower than 3:10 only one mare. Dinah’s time was 3:20 so the prize was a service to only one mare.
The last race was a sweep of Two Pounds ten shillings for local horses over 2 miles.
The race was won by Dick under his new ownership.
The horses that came on the train from Melbourne were:
Von Moltke Jnr USA (Tr 2:3-43), (Von Moltke- Miss Crosby) bh1874. imported in 1879 by C. Colbath. Stood at Fitzroy, Chelsworth, Parkville 1879-1895 Died 1900. Sire of 16 trotters
Contractor USA (Tr 2:43), (Green’s Ajax – Lady Godley). bh 1873. Imported in 1881 by J.J.Miller, owner and publisher of Miller’s Guide, still in publication).
Stood at Bayswater and Scoresby from 1881- 1888. Died in 1888
Brown Hawk ( Tr 2:45) (Merryhawk USA from unknown dam) g 187-
The family to which Brown Hawk belonged was still being bred from in the 1960s .
Captain Dearborn (Breeding unknown)
John Peck: Harness Racing International January/February 2013
Norm West and Noel Ridge from Bendigo Harness Racing Club records
Seven Bendigo Cups raced before Lord's Raceway
By Noel Ridge
THERE WERE SEVEN PREVIOUS BENDIGO CUPS!
The 50th Bendigo Pacing Cup was conducted at Lord’s Raceway on Saturday January 11, 2014.
All of these fifty races have been run at Lord’s Raceway, with the first taken out in 1965 by Kalama’s Peak, trained and driven by Jack Moore, coming 11 years after the opening meeting at Lord’s Raceway in 1954. However there were seven Bendigo Cups conducted between 1924 and 1932, raced on the grass at the Bendigo Racecourse at Ascot with four of them actually conducted in 1924. The first in 1924 was taken out by Kinnie Bazil, the second by the champion trotter Grand Voyage, and the third by Queen Pirate on October 28, and the fourth in December by Horsham pacer Dummy.
The cup race was run again in 1929, when won by First Cast a 10yo gelding by First Voyage . First Voyage was also the sire of Grand Voyage, the champion trotter trained at Huntly and driven by Paddy Glasheen, which won 38 races in Australia and New Zealand mostly against pacers. Princess Mauritus won in 1930, driven by 23yo George Gath and after a further break of one year, the Bendigo Cup was run again ( and for the last time at this track) in 1932. This final edition was won by Le Wilkes owned, trained and driven by A. McPherson, a 12 yo gelding by Le Rosier which had won the Ballarat Cup at the Miner’s Racecourse in Redan in 1930 and 1931. The Bendigo Trotting Club then went into recess, being revived again in the 1950’s prior to the purchase of land at Junortoun and the building of the track and facilities that became Lord’s Raceway. So the question could be asked, do these seven Bendigo Cups conducted in the 1920’s and early 30's count in the total of cups conducted?
Was the Bendigo Cup on January 11, 2014 the 50th, or the 57th?
The seven winners of the Original Bendigo Cup (raced in the 10 furling grass at Epsom)
1924 (1) Kinnie Bazil, by Bazil B from a Kintore mare
1924 (2) Grand Voyage, by First Voyage from Blonde Grattan
1924 ( 3) Queen Pirate (NZ) by Norminston from Wild Pirate
1924 (4) Dummy, by Grattan Bells from Experience
1929 First Cast, by First Voyage from an Owyhee mare
1930 Princess Mauritius by Direct Mauritius from Belle Patch
1932 Le Wilkes, by Le Rosier from May Wilkes
From July 1951 till the opening of the new Club a number of interesting motions were passed. On July 15th 1951 the Bendigo and district Trotting Club was formed with an interim Committee being elected. The first President was Mr Wally Hyett, Mr J S Elliott as Secretary and Mr A E Petherick as Treasurer. These men led the new Club through the early years of the clubs development.
On Thursday November 8th 1951 the Trotting Control Board granted the Club registration and it expects to race on the Bendigo Racecourse when the Club receives its allocation of racing dates.
“Trotting Boom” - “No Race Track Retards Local Club’s Progress”
This appeared in the Bendigo Advertiser on January 12th 1952. By the 30th of January the Club had been active and the report stated that an area of land was available very close to Bendigo; it was Garden Gully an area that the Council was developing. However, there was opposition from some members of the Council of the time, namely Cr N J Oliver and Cr A J Michelson. Other venues investigated were the new Agricultural Showground’s Site in Holmes Road, the Marong Race Course and The Bendigo Racecourse. On April 19th 1952 it was recorded in the Bendigo Advertiser that the trotting men invited to view the proposed 3 furlong track at the Show grounds, while on May 1st a photograph appeared in the Bendigo Advertiser showing Trotting Control Board Stewards viewing the proposed track and giving it their approval.
On the 27th April 1952 Mr J Mooring moved and seconded by Mr Friswell, that the Committee adopt a Club constitution. April 1954 Building purchased for 525 Pounds to house the Secretary’s Office, Change room, Stewards room, Casualty room and Committee rooms.
April 19th 1954 Track to be named “LORD’S RACEWAY”.
Constitution approved by the Trotting Control Board. This was unanimously carried. At this same meeting the Committee accepted a loan of 750 pounds from the Trotting Control Board. At the Committee meeting on 5th November 1954 it was moved by Mr Friswell, seconded by Mr J Bourke that 5000 programmes be ordered for the Opening Meeting, from Cambridge Press for 89 Pounds.
In November a field limit of 20 horses was set, however, this was changed in December 1954 to 25 horses.
On the 12th January it was moved by Mr A A Lord to appoint Mr C Pratt as Caretaker of the track, at a salary of 13 pounds a week. In January it was also decided that each member of the Club be asked to contribute Two Guineas towards the new members stand.The 14th February saw the granting permission of the first truck displaying trotting gear for sale on race nights.On the 4th April 1954 it was brought to the attention of the Committee that strange horses were using the track for fast work. It was decided that a charge of 2/- per run per horse would be charged.
The Speed Coursing Association requested if it might be possible to lease the Raceway and what might the arrangements be.
August Annual Meeting 102 Members present.
Refreshment Tickets to be handed out exclusively by the President
Commentator to discontinue the practice of naming the winner in close finishes.
Mr F Collins appointed Timekeeper in place of Mr D Pain.
At the Committee Meeting on the first of June the Committee decided to seek permission from the T.C.B. to display the Interdominion Trophies in Bendigo.
At the Annual Meeting of 1956 it was decided that the fees should remain as for the previous season, viz, 2 pounds 16 shillings plus a Ladies Ticket @ 1 pound 50 shillings plus car fees 1 guinea.
Resignation of Mr L Jackman as Treasurer and Mr J Hall appointed as Treasurer.
Photo finish details obtained from T.C.B.
Mr Palmer appointed Tote Supervisor.
Mr R Grieve appointed Catcher on probation.
On 18 May an approach was made to the Club to purchase the 23 acres adjacent to the track. The Committee informed Mr Rice that the Club did not intend to sell at this point in time.
Mr Calderwood reported to the Club the issues of taxation and essential matters pertaining to the Club and was requested to redraft the Club’s Constitution. At the Committee Meeting on the 7th October it was moved by Mr T Michell and seconded by Mr Johnson that Mr R Grieve be appointed as Catcher.Mr Redwood moved seconded Mr Michell that free buses are provided for the patrons.
On the 20th February Mr Hall resigned as Treasurer and Mr B Jennings was appointed to replace Mr Hall. In April permission was granted for “Walla Lawn” and “Willock” to be paraded at the next race meeting.
At the Annual Meeting 1958, Mr S Touhey offered financial support for the use of the mobile barrier to be introduced at the Clubs meetings.
During the Committee Meeting on the 18th October it was moved by Mr W C Rothacker and seconded by Mr H Redwood that the mobile barrier be used at least once a meeting during the forth coming season. During the Committee Meeting on the 16th March 1959 it was moved by Mr J Bourke and seconded by Mr T Michell that Mr Rushford be appointed Starter
Catcher endeavours to secure 2 quieter horses
It was suggested that Business Houses and Trotting enthusiasts be requested to make donations towards the installation of the Photo finish
No action taken on the Mobile Barrier
16th August 1960
Mr Long moved, seconded Mr C Rothacker that the following members Mr A A Lord, Mr H Harrison and Mr J Mooring be awarded Life Membership of the Club at the Annual Meeting.
15th August 1961
Resignation of G P Hyett from the Committee. Mr A L Pearce Appointed to replace G P
19th December 1961
A deputation from the Bendigo Trotting Association re trials: Messrs Mason, Bourke and Pascoe represented the Association and placed before the meeting thoughts as to the necessity for continuance of and necessity for holding trials at the Raceway in preference to outside courses.
5th February 1963
F B Jennings appointed Secretary of the Bendigo and District Trotting Club.
Miss V Gillies was appointed to the position of Hon. Treasurer of the Club.
27th March 1963
Mr J T Langdon appointed to the Committee to fill the vacancy occasioned by the death of Mr J W Mooring.
28th August 1963
At the Annual Meeting Guest Speaker; The Chairman of the Trotting Control Board the Hon. R T White
11th October 1963
Training Fees: Moved A A Lord, seconded Mr E Pocock the Secretary to be empowered to contact trainers who have not paid their training fees, and they be reported to the Trotting Control Board as defaulters.
22nd January 1964
Plans in place to entertain the Interdominion visitors.
10th July 1964
Mr T Michell resigns.
20th July 1964
A Letter dated 8th July 1964 from Mr A.A. Lord re interest free loan. Matter left in the hands of the Secretary.
3rd September 1964
Mr Neil Gillies suggested to the in coming Committee that the Club hold a Cup meeting.
16th February 1965
Moved Mr J P Bourke, second Mr Gillies that Mr A A Lord be informed that his position on the Committee has lapsed.
26th September 1965
Application from Bill Collins for the position of Course Broadcaster.
Application from Bruce Skeggs for the position of Course Broadcaster.
Bruce Skeggs appointed.
8th December 1965
Resignation of Mr H Harrison from Committee.
9th March 1966
Wash: It was decided to install an electric light in the horse wash.
Mr Ray Heath elected to Committee, replacing Mr Harrison.
3rd May 1966
The Trotting Control Board requested the Club consider holding Saturday night meetings in the August – October period. The Club rejected the request owing to the climatic conditions were not favourable, and suggested Clubs such as Nyah and Mildura might be more suitable.
28th December 1966
First night trials conducted by the Club.
15th June 1967
First discussion of a Master Plan of the property introduced by Mr G Symons.
9th April 1968
Recognition of D Dove driving five winners.
G Symons and G Pascoe moved and seconded, that a suitably inscribed trophy to the value of $10 be presented to Mr Dove.
28th January 1969
Meeting in the Presidents Room to form an Owners, Trainers and Drivers Association.
A match race was proposed between Adaptor and Golden Alley, each horse to receive $500 appearance money and the winner to receive $500.
20th March 1969
Match Race: As Adaptor had been sold to American interest the match race was not possible.
Dale Symons granted permission to call some races on trial nights.
13 October 1969
It was decided to hold a Pacing Cup in January 1970.
27th November 1969
The Chairman (Mr J P Bourke) referred to the accident that happened to the President Mr V J Rothacker, and all present extended their wishes for a speedy recovery.
14th October 1971
Conversion to the Metric System.
Transfer of freehold land to the crown.
Mr C Pratt wanted to finish up as caretaker at the end of the year.
L Hynam appointed caretaker.
Club entitled to $65,000 over five years from Racecourse Development Fund.
Death of Foundation member of the Club Mr Harry Harrison.
434 people petitioned the Chief Secretary to keep the TAB opened on a Tuesday.
Representatives of the Coursing Association meet with Trotting Club to discuss aspects of the proposed move.
Death of George Coulson a voluntary worker at the Club since its inception.
White ants infested the Tote building.
Mrs Coulson requested that she be permitted to donate an Honour Board to the Club in memory of her late husband.
Secretary presented preliminary drawings for improvements to the raceway.
Trials to be held five days prior to each meeting.
Land to be transferred to Crown.
Club to continue negotiations re purchase land adjacent to the Club.
$10, 000 Meeting, the Club to provide extra advertising and to decorate the stall to be occupied by “Gentleman John”, Interdominion Champion.
Mr Geoff O’Brien appointed Course Broadcaster
$80.000 per annum for five years, to be available for the Trotting and Greyhound Development funds for improvements to the Raceway.
Mr R G Redwood resigns from the Committee.
The Mobile barrier to be introduced at two meetings before the end of the season.
Mr Bernie Ahern elected to the Committee
Mr R Heavyside proposed to be made a Life Member of the Club.
Mr J P Bourke and Mr R M Heavyside were made Life Members of the Club.
Resignations of Mr W C Rothacker and Mr A A Rothacker from Committee.
Resignation of Mr B A’Hern from Committee.
Mr A Wignall approached to act as Course Farrier.
Mobile Barrier: Arising out of mishaps at the last meeting, it was resolved that in future Mobile Barrier events be held from the 2200 metres start only.
Mr Ray Heath appointed to the Trotting Control Board.
Russell Swainston appointed Assistant Judge.
Mr J E Doolan resigned as Assistant Judge.
Death of Mr J Elliot initial Secretary of Bendigo Trotting Club.
Mr A Burrows appointed to replace Mr H O’Shea.
John Lane the photo finish operator was the busiest man on the course when the judge called for 5 photos on the 8-race programme.
Resignation of Mr G McKenzie as Judge and Mr R Swainston appointed as Judge and Mr Peter Stewart appointed as Assistant Judge.
Trials: That a fee for night trials be $2 per horse from the first of July 1976.
Development of the west side and a request to be made to obtain sufficient funds to prepare the new site for the future building programme.
Mr R Heath spoke of the proposed move to Moonee Valley by the Trotting Control Board.
Bendigo Trots held at Shepparton.
Opening meeting on the new track (three horses fell)
Track Records crash. Six Track Records were smashed
Director of Youth, Sport and Recreation, Mr Bert Keddie opened the initial stage of the Multi-Million Dollar improvement plan.
Reinswomen crack the ice at Raceway when Mrs D’arne Bellman finished third driving “Queenly Chief” racing against the men.
Twilight move a winner. Patrons support the early start.
Opening of the $2M complex by Mr Neil Tresize Minister for Youth, Sport and Recreation.
Judges stood down for a mistake in the placing’s.
Mr L F Chalkley and Mr A S Rutland took over their positions for the rest of the meeting.
Club President, Mr Bernie Masterson not happy with the deal from the HRB. He said “It causes our Club extreme difficulties when we have to race on the night before or after Moonee Valley”.
Guest Speaker: Mr Jim Wong.
Officials acclaim the new Mobile start.
Hot competition for Committee jobs.
18th February 1987
The Treasurer reported that the number of paying customers showed a decline.
It was resolved that at The Annual Meeting the constitution be amended to accept Junior Members.
Applicants under 21 years of age. Fees to be $20.
Harness Racing Training/Drivers Course:
The Bendigo College of Tafe confirm that a meeting to discuss the conduct of a Harness Racing Training/Drivers Course would be held on Wednesday May 6th, 1987.
June 17th Trainers and Drivers School Complex. The HRB be informed of the participation of the Bendigo Harness Racing Club in the formation of such a scheme.
December 15th Drivers/Stewards Building Complex
A meeting of the sub committee to be convened in January 1988 for the purpose of discussing the implementation of this project.
January 20th 1988 Starter Mr Keith Stemmer is recommended to the board as a suitable person to hold such a licence.
16th March 1988 Harness Racing Board suggested that the future Wednesday meetings be held as twilight meetings with the first race starting between 4pm - 5pm.
20th April 1988 A talk given by Dr Tony Britt outlining the submission that T.V. coverage on the Friday circuit between the hours 5pm – 9pm.
It was moved by Mr Masterson and Mr J Maher that the club accept the offer of the Board to conduct Friday twilight meetings on Sky Channel.
June 1988 Standing orders were suspended and the President Mr L F Chalkley allowed a task force from The Harness Racing Board who were investigating the Club’s reason for resigning from the Country Clubs Association.
July 20th 1988 Sebastian Light Harness Club seeking permission to hold two restricted meetings at the course.
Both Mr K S Mitchell and Mr Ron Oliver complained about the decision to hold twilight meetings. Replies sent.
August 12th 1988
Caravan for Lady Drivers. Building sub-committee go into the matter of purchasing a caravan for this purpose.
14th September 1988
Grounds and buildings:
Horse urinal doors completed much to the relief of the horses, Caravan for Lady Drivers to be sited and the annex to be offered for sale to the original owner.
October 19th 1988 A Caravan for Ladies change room put in place in the horse area.
Mr Wal Churchill to act as Father Christmas.
Tafe Course: 15th February The Minister Mr E Walker will officially declare this course open at a breakfast on the 17th 1989.
May 31st The meeting started with all members standing in silence for 60 seconds as a mark of respect for the passing of Brian Jennings.
Replacement of the Secretary: A discussion took place on the appointment of a Secretary.
23rd June - 23 Applications for the position of Secretary.
6th July - Three people recommended for consideration for the position of Secretary.
Mr Ken Yates offered and accepts the position of Secretary of the Bendigo Harness Racing Club.
13th September - Annual Meeting Guest Speaker: Mr Rod Osborne (Chairman of Stewards)
13th December Ken Pocock approached to have “Game Oro” lead the Cup field out on Cup night.
17th January A letter be forwarded to Ted Zimmer for his services to the Club.
18th July, Moved for Mr L Chalkley to be awarded Life Membership at the Annual Meeting.
Mr K Matthews also be granted Life Membership.
15th August Renewal of acquaintances with the Bendigo Jockey Club.
Moved that Les Pascoe be awarded Life Membership at this Years Annual Meeting.
Annual Meeting 24th October Guest Speaker: Mr Tim Walsh Chairman of the Harness Racing Board spoke of the challenges the Industry is facing.
Training Centre Barn:
The Barn had been designed and that a registration of interest for tenders had been called for.
Gold Nugget Series:
It was decided to approach Ballarat and Maryborough in conducting a Gold Nugget Series.
Plans were tabled for a Public Restaurant to be established in the Grandstand.
John Randles named Harness Racing Personality of the year.
Graham Maher given permission to develop a track conditioner for the Club.
October Annual Meeting
Mr David Martyn, Marketing Manager of the Harness Racing Board
Mr Martyn spoke on the issues regarding marketing principles and strategies.
Merna Graham elected to the Committee.
Establishment of a Museum at the Club.
Formation of a sub-committee to investigate.
Jim Rilen and J Grenfell interested in learning the duties of a Club Steward
Costing of the reconstruction of the track.
Mr Peter Svanosio awarded Life Membership.
Mr Matt Donaldson of Charlton. He spoke on his recent trip to compete in The World Cup Amateur Driving Championship in Paris
Proposal for a Museum/Theme Park for the Complex.
Visit of Mr Tom Reynolds, Minister for Sport and Recreation.
Introduction of the concept of a perpetual Rothacker Trotters Classic.
Contact had been made with Harold Park re-the consultant Daniel Coon.
The running of the K Pocock Memorial Race,
Mrs Daphne Pocock to provide the Trophy
Visit by H.R.B. Chairman Mr Ian McEwan
Mr Stan Rutland awarded Life Membership at Annual Meeting.
Annual Meeting Guest Speaker: Mr Duncan McPherson Country Clubs Manager. Mr McPherson spoke on the long term strategic planning of the H.R.B.
Volunteer workers to wear identification outfits.
Visit by Vic Safe Consultant
Visit by Daniel Coon to conduct a feasibility study of track.
Daniel Coon provided 3 options to the Club, A, B and C. The Club opted for Option B.
Keith Bibby presented with a plaque and set of glasses for his services to the Club over many years.
Guest Speaker- Mr Alan Galloway of Alabar Farms.
Mr Alan Galloway spoke of the development of Alabar Farms.
Bruce Morgan and Len Maher nominated for Life Memberships.
Bill and Margaret Hanson nominated for Life Memberships.
Life Member and Past President Jim Bourke passed away.
Retirement of L Chalkley as a Committee Member.
Barry Edwards appointed to the casual vacancy on the Committee
At the Annual Meeting Life Memberships were awarded to the following: Margaret and Bill Hanson, Bruce Morgan and Len Maher.
Guest Speaker: Mr Kevin Newbound, President of the Studmasters Association spoke on the issues affecting the Breeding industry.
“Club 100” sponsorship commenced
Paul Graydon appointed to co-ordinate the Horse Sale on the 28th April.
Internet – Mr Bruce Winzar to set up the Internet System.
1997 P Banks appointed Bendigo Harness Racing Club Secretary
First Breeders Crown Series started. Finals at Bendigo.
1998 M.Hockley replaces P Banks as Bendigo Harness Racing Club Secretary
October 1998 Tony Britt elected president BHRC Committee.
Barry Edwards replaces M Hockley as Bendigo Harness Racing Club Secretary/Manager
Volunteers/staff to be paid appropriate award rates for work hours
Eric Rothacker to be Guest Speaker at the Annual Meeting.
Resignation of Dennis Bice from Committee.
Paul Morrissey invited to fill the Committee vacancy.
Money available for the construction of a lift to the first floor.
Goldwood Park Sprint Lane established.
“Maoris Idol” monument to be placed inside archway gate.
At the Annual Meeting
Guest Speaker: Mr Terry Bailey chief steward.
Presentation to Kerryn Gath for her record success this season.
K. Matthews and L Pascoe nominated for Legends/Distinguished Service.
Volunteer awards (Certificate of Appreciation). The following were nominated: Ladies Committee, Mavis Collinson, Trial volunteers, Executive OTDA, Len Maher and Graeme Maher.
Legends Club Les Pascoe and Kevin Matthews have been admitted to the Legends Club.
Angled Mobile Barrier – Advise the HRV that the angled barrier is not successful in its present form.
Native Title Claim: A claim made on the land BHRC operate on.
Bruce Winzar elected President of the BHRC Committee
Bush rose and plaque to be placed in garden near HRTC Office in memory of Don Herbert.
Most successful Breeders Crown Meeting in August
Commenced planing for the new Thousand metre race track
Dennis Bice elected to President of the BHRC Committee
Last Breeders Crown Series Final raced at Bendigo with the Finals transferred to HRV headquarters and the new track at Melton
Executive Committee starts national search for a new local harness racing boss, experienced racing administrator David Aldred is appointed to position of General Manager/ CEO - Bendigo Harness Racing Club Inc.
David Aldred, who had been previously the Chief Executive Officer for Harness Racing SA, takes up the General Manager appointment replacing former Committeeman and Club manager Barry Edwards.
James Hitchcock (HRV CHairman of Stewards) and David Aldred (GM BHRC) guest speakers at annual general meeting. President Dennis Bice announces, following an election for Committee vacancy, Joe Page elected to replace Paul Graydon on BHRC Committee
David Aldred signs PETstock to a three year partnership to sponsor the Bendigo Pacing Cup
Miracle Mile winner and Australasia's fastest pacer, Smoken Up (Lance Justice) wins the 2011 PETstock Bendigo Cup, Smoken Up went on to win the Inter Dominion Championship Final in Auckland two months later
Maori Mile winners names 2010 (Acacia Ridge) 2011 (Ronerail) names engraved on plaques on Maori's Idol Monument
The Dick Howarth trained, Greg Sugars reined, Airzone sets a new best mile for Bendigo pacing a 1:54.2 MR.
Archway at entry to Lord's Raceway demolished by Vic Roads to make way for new McIvor Highway and Atlas Road intersection, The entry to Lord's Raceway is to be widened with traffic lights installed for the safe crossing of horses and pedestrians at the intersection.
Work also commences on new light dimming technology at Lords Raceway. The dimming technology first installed at the Melton track will provide substantial power savings when completed
30 May, Harness Racing stalwart, trainer/driver Merv Dillon (committeeman 1985 - 1998) passes.
3 June - Huge crowd packs out Napier Park Chapel to overflowing to farewell Merv Dillion. Dillon's son Tony trained a Merv Dillon owned winner at Tabcorp Park on the night of the funeral, closing a memorable chapter in local racing history.
11 June 2011 - Personal Digital TVs installed on window dining tables at Lord's Raceway. TV's provided patrons with abilty to watch all Sky Racing, Sport including football, and Digital TV stations at their own table. GM David Aldred introduced the idea and the TV's, sponsored by the BHRC Ladies Committee, were a big hiot with racegoers. 50/50 fundraising commenced to raise money towards a roof over the stables at Lord's Raceway. The first 50/50 venture raised $400.
18 June 2011 - The Race For Fun Club was launched in the Bendigo Advertiser. The Advertiser will race a rising 2yo filly by Lombo Pocket Watch with the Bendigo Community as Race For Fun Club Members. All prizemoney won by the fully sponsored filly is to be donated to Charity.
January 2012 - Ballarat CEO and trainer Paul Rowse wins the Bendigo Pacing Cup with Decorated Jasper. Bendigo Harness Racing Club stages successful promotion with Win a Trip for Two to Paris Competition. The prize attracts modern day record crowd and stuimulates activity and betting turnover on track at Lord's Raceway.
July 2012 - Bendigo Harness Racing Club announces celebrations of history at Lord's Raceway with the running of the Anniversary Cup on 3 November 2012 and the opening of a Race For Fun Club Historical Library and Royal Gaze 'Local Hero' wall of memory at the track. The Anniversary Cup race night will also feature a Monte (ridden Trot) race and a Veteran Drivers Challenge with current and past master reinsman competing in a feature TAB race.
August 2012 - State Coalition Government announces its support for the Anniversary Cup and historical celebrations at Lord's Raceway.
August 2012- Race for Fun Club filly Spirit Of Bendigo makes her race debut at Lord's Raceway Bendigo, finishing 7th.
3rd November 2012 - The BHRC celebrates a huge birthday of harness racing at Lord's Raceway - It's 58th year with assistance from the state government Race Day Attraction program Funding. The Anniversary Pacing Cup day proves to be the most successful outside of the Bendigo Pacing Cup. The race meeting featured a Veteran Drivers Race won by local harness racing identity Keith Pratt.
26 November 2012 - The BHRC membership recieved the Club's 58th Annual Report. Dennis Bice elected for another term as president of the Bendigo Harness Racing Club. Darren McPhail and James Masters elected as the Club's vice presidents.
12 January 2013 - Sushi Sushi a son of Art Major defies a Kiwi raid to win the 2013 PETstock Bendigo Pacing Cup at Lord's Raceway. Driven by Greg Sugars, the Freddy taiba trained Sushi Sushi beat New Zealders Mah Sish and Auckland Reactor in a tight three way finish. A big crowd attended the Cup with a lure of a trip for two to Hong Kong as the lucky gate prize.
15 October 2013 - Bendigo Harness Racing Club partner with Bendigo Beer to hold the 1st Oktoberfest, beer festival at Lord's Raceway. More than 2000 attend this event.
12 January 2014 - Im Corzin Terror wins the 50th running of the Gr2 Petstock Bendigo Cup for Dean Braun and Chris Alford. The Club stages big on course promotions to attract a diverse crowd.
20 June 2014 - Club Chief Executive Officer David Aldred resigns his position to take up a new industry role in Queensland. Aldred appointed to position of GM Racing Operations for Harness Racing with Racing Queensland. He departs the BHRC on 31 July 2014.